Thursday, August 28, 2008

rosita

rosita the first

1 oz. tequila
1 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. sweet vermouth
1/2 oz. dry vermouth
1 dash Regan's orange bitters #6

Pour all the ingredients into a large old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Stir and add an orange twist.

rosita the second

1 oz. tequila
1 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. sweet vermouth
1/2 oz. dry vermouth

Stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange wheel.

I will now relate to you the tale of the rival Rositas.

Last Tuesday we decided that the evening was too lovely to waste sitting indoors, so we walked over to the Independent in Union Square for cocktails. The Rosita Liam deftly mixed up for me was terribly pretty, with a a strong Campari flavor and barely any tequila flavor. I liked the drink much more after some of the ice had melted, and the tequila recovered somewhat. The (welcome) addition of the bitters gave the drink nice long citrus-tingly finish. Liam was more than happy to share the recipe, which I've related above as Rosita the first.

The next night, I found myself with my friend Julia at Green Street in Central. I spotted the Rosita on the expanded menu and decided to order it to compare with my experience the night before. It certainly was tasty, but I definitely prefer it with the ice and orange bitters.

I tried to do a bit of research on the origin of the Rosita. Once again sfgate.com turned out to be my most trusted source - no big surprise once you learn that the author of the cocktail is Gary Regan. He based the recipe on a 1988 edition of Mr. Boston Official Bartender's Guide. His tinkering upped the tequila to 1 1/2 oz., and he added Angostura bitters instead of his eponymous orange #6.

I think the Rosita the first recipe hews much more closely to Regan's vision. Well done, Indo crew!

3 comments:

dfan said...

The Rosita I make at home comes from cocktaildb (I think - it's down right now so I can't check): 1.5 oz tequila, .5 oz dry vermouth, .5 oz sweet vermouth, .5 oz Campari, dash angostura bitters. I'll have to A/B it with the recipes above.

Come to think of it, I guess I have a taste for tequila in cocktails - I really like the Refuge at Green Street, and of course there's nothing like a good margarita.

andrea said...

I didn't think that cocktaildb had a Rosita. The recipe you cite might come from Robert Hess' Cocktail Chronicles.

Let me know about the side-by-side tasting. I was tempted to make Hess' recipe last night with the new Partida blanco I bought, but I went with a Widow's Kiss instead (since we need to kill off the bottle of green chartreuse).

andrea said...

Apologies - that should be Robert Hess' drinkboy.com blog. I read so many blogs I just can't keep the proper names with the blog names (I'm more likely to get the proper name right, though).