Tuesday, January 13, 2009

[sardinian alaska]

Anchor Distilling's Genevieve
Apricot Liqueur
Rhum Clément Creole Shrubb
1 barspoon Mirto

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Twist lemon peel over drink and drop in.
Last night, I met Andrea at Eastern Standard where she had saved me a seat in front of Hugh Fiore. I asked Hugh if he had something he was working on, to which he replied that he had an idea and I trusted him enough to not ask a question until I got the drink. His initial concept for this cocktail was to give some love to Anchor's Genevieve which often gets ignored relative to their Junipero gin. While Hugh conveyed the ingredients on his latest creation, he stated that he was still working on it so I have no clue on the proportions. He did state that the myrtle berry and leaf liqueur initially started as a rinse but was upped to a barspoon. While the cocktail was a slight bit sweet for my tastes, the mirto's bitterness did a decent job at cutting into the sweetness of the apricot liqueur and orange peel-infused rhum liqueur. Overall, the drink had some similarities to an Alaska, albeit a more full flavored fruited and bitter one. With a little bit more tweaking, this drink could be a contender.

No comments: