Friday, September 4, 2009

yardarm

2 oz Gin
3/4 oz Passion Fruit Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Honey Syrup (1:1 Honey:Water)
2 dash Angostura Bitters
1/4 oz Absinthe (or Pastis)

Shake all but absinthe with ice and strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Float absinthe and garnish with a lime wheel.
Last night was Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night (TDN) was its first anniversary event where the theme was Tiki drinks. I culled a few aspects from Tiki-like drinks I have had in the past such as the absinthe float from the Sea Captain's Special to make the Yardarm. The beginning of the this drink was dominated by the anise seed notes from the absinthe, and after a few sips, the passion fruit flavors started appearing. As the cloudy layer on top diminished, the lime became more apparent. The honey syrup provided not only the right amount of sweetness to the drink but also a certain richness that sugar alone does not. The response from the TDN chatroom seemed pretty positive about the Yardarm, including Jeff Beachbum Berry who gave his thumbs up to my creation!

5 comments:

Pantagruel said...

Shoot, looking at your post just now I realized that when I made it last night at TDN I completely forgot the honey syrup. Just totally left it out. That explains why I was disappointed. Guess I'll have to try it again...

ps I chose my blog theme when I started mine because I liked the way it looked on yours.

frederic said...

Yeah, unbalanced lime juice isn't much fun in my book. The sweetness level is above average for my mixing style, so it should be about right for most people.

Pantagruel said...

Yeah, turns out if you actually follow the recipe it's really good. Well done.

DJ HawaiianShirt said...

I just made this Frederic... subbed with lesser amounts of honey and passionfruit syrup... hell of a drink! However, I feel I can't taste the gin... I think it's begging to be replaced with gold rum. Then again, I'm biased. Great job! Sucks I couldn't join that TDN!

Tiare said...

This one looks really good, as soon as i`m not sick anymore i want to try it out!