Friday, December 10, 2010

loop tonic

2 oz Blanco Tequila (Avión)
1 oz Dry Vermouth (Dolin)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 dash Celery Bitters (homemade)

Shake with ice and strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with a celery stick (omitted).

Last Saturday, I made a pair of Phil Ward's Loop Tonics, a recipe that I had spotted in Wayne Curtis' article in Men's Journal. I had the recipe for a while, but it felt like the right time since I wanted to use the new sample of Avión Tequila that the Liquor Fairy delivered to me. Tasting Avión straight, it had some interesting vegetal notes including mint and rosemary on the sip and pepper on the swallow. While Phil Ward makes his drinks at Mayahuel in Manhattan using Heradura Silver, I felt that his recipe would shine with a better and more herbal tequila in the glass.
The Loop Tonic began with an aroma of tequila, green Chartreuse, and celery. A lime sip was followed by a rather herbal swallow replete with tequila, Chartreuse, and dry vermouth flavors. Moreover, the tequila provided a rather clean aftertaste. After a few sips, the drink gained some cohesiveness of flavor instead of being a collection of individual flavor notes. Overall, the Loop Tonic reminded me a lot of what a tequila Green Ghost would taste like.

No comments: