Wednesday, December 22, 2010

peter's gin flip

2 oz CapRock Gin
1 oz Cherry Heering
1 Egg

Shake once without ice and once with. Double strain into a rocks glass and garnish with Bittermens Mole Bitters (or freshly grated nutmeg) on the egg froth.

For my nightcap at Lineage last Friday night, I asked bartender Ryan Lotz to make me a drink that Andrea enjoyed last time, namely Peter's Gin Flip. The Peter in question is Peter Heering, the Dutch merchant and businessman who created the famous cherry liqueur in 1818. Beside the liqueur and egg in the flip, Ryan added gin as the base spirit and either mole bitters or grated nutmeg as a garnish. Ryan made me the drink with the mole bitters and the combination reminded me of a recipe I spotted in the Beta Cocktails book addendum:
Heering Flip
• 2 oz Cherry Heering
• 1/2 oz Bittermen's Xocolati Mole bitters
• 1 Egg
Shake once without ice and once with. Strain over a large ice cube and garnish with 3 drops of mole bitters.
The Heering Flip, created by Maksym Pazuniak of Brooklyn's Counting Room, seems like it would be the next step up in intensity from Ryan's recipe.
Peter's Gin Flip exuded a delightful cherry, chocolate, and spice aroma. While cherry was on the sip, it was a lot lighter than I expected perhaps due to the softening by the egg and dilution by the gin. The gin did contribute a citrus note that worked rather well with the Heering flavor.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Oooh, this sounds right up my alley. :)