Tuesday, September 20, 2011

everyman afterall

1 1/2 oz Denizen Rum (1 3/8 oz 10 Cane, 1/8 oz J.Wray & Nephew)
1/2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
3/4 Massenez Crème de Pêche (Briottet Maison Edmond CdP de Vigne)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
(1/2 oz Simple Syrup to balance)
1 dash Peach and Orange Bitters Mix (Fee's Peach and Angostura Orange)

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lime wheel dusted with cardamom.

Two Saturdays ago, I decided to make the Everyman Afterall that I spotted on SeriousEats. The drink was created by Marshall Altier of Jbird Cocktails and seemed like an interesting fruity rum drink. The rum Marshall called for, Denizen, is a blend of mainly Trinidadian with some funky Jamaican for complexity; lacking this spirit, I mixed 10 Cane from Trinidad with some J.Wray & Nephew from Jamaica to approximate the description of Denizen's flavor profile. After mixing the drink and straw tasting it, it was rather tart as I guessed it would be from the ounce of citrus; therefore, I added some simple syrup for balance. I presumed that the difference is that my Briottet Crème de Pêche is not nearly as sweet as Massenez's liqueur. Lastly, I was not able to rest my lime wheel on the edge of the glass since I cut it too thin, so I floated it instead.
The Everyman Afterall began with a cardamom aroma from the dusting on the lime wheel garnish. The sip contained citrus flavors spiced with cardamom; while our cardamom was from spillover from the floated garnish, Marshall's peach bitters contain cardamom as well. Next, the swallow presented the apple brandy and rum flavors with a peach finish.

No comments: