Friday, February 22, 2013

second wife

1 1/2 oz Power's Irish Whiskey
1 oz Carpano Sweet Vermouth
3/4 oz Suze Gentian Liqueur

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After my second drink at Stoddard's, I departed to meet up with Andrea at Local 149 for dinner. The cocktail on the menu that caught my eye was the Second Wife, but asking bartender John Mayer for one seemed a bit more dangerous than requesting a Prison Nickname. With Irish Whiskey, sweet vermouth, and Suze, it reminded me of the rye-based Harry Palmer that I had a few months ago at home.
local 149 john mayer cocktail
The Irish whiskey aroma joined that of the Suze's gentian on the nose. A malt and grape sip led into a swallow that began with the whiskey and ended with the Suze that was smoothed out by the vermouth. Overall, it had a bit more sweetness than I have come to expect from Suze drinks.

No comments: