Tuesday, March 10, 2015

coffee dto

1 1/2 oz Plantation Dark Rum (Diplomatico Exclusiva)
1/2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Allen's Coffee Brandy (Kahlua)
1/2 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Iron Ranger served at Tales of the Cocktail 2014, I turned to my stack of recipe cards from 2014 Boston Thirst's Maine-Portland Pop-up Event. There, I spotted the Coffee DTO from Portland's Hunt & Alpine Club. Their Daiquiri Time Out variation reminded me a lot of a Mr. Bali Hai without the pineapple juice, so I was definitely intrigued. Moreover, our Mr. Bali Hai at Russell House Tavern also utilized a 3:1 split of rums with 3 parts dark Cruzan Blackstrap to a similar 1 part Smith & Cross. To make the drink truly Maine, I would have needed Allen's Coffee Brandy (or perhaps Somerville as well since it is made down the hill from me in East Somerville); though I have an Allen's winter cap from Hunt & Alpine's table at the event, I needed that night to utilize another coffee liqueur for this #DTO.
The Coffee Daiquiri Time Out began with caramel rum aromas complementing dark roast coffee ones on the nose. The caramel continued on into the sip where it contrasted the crisp lemon notes, and the funky rums on the swallow led into a coffee finish.

No comments: