Friday, June 26, 2015

hilo hala

1 1/2 oz Rhum JM Blanc (Vale d' Paul Aguardente Nova de Santo Antão)
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz St. Germain
1/2 oz Falernum (BG Reynolds)
1 dash Mole Bitters
Lemon Zest (2 wide peels)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass (I used a Tiki mug filled with crushed ice). Garnish with a pineapple wedge (here, mint sprigs).

After returning from Licoln Tavern in Southie, we were in the mood for a nightcap. Therefore, I reached for my copy of Tales of the Cocktail A to Z and found a drink from the Tiki Now: The New Breed of Tiki Bar seminar in 2010. The drink, the Hilo Hala, was created by one of the presenters that session, namely Blair Reynolds now of BG Reynolds syrups and Hale Pele bar. If you missed the seminar like I did (though I was at Tales that year watching a competing talk, I believe), you can still watch it sans drinks (unless, of course, you make this one) on Vimeo.
Serving this in a cocktail glass did not fit my mood that night, and I sought out my humble Tiki mug collection. In addition, lacking fresh pineapple, I opted for mint sprigs from the garden. Once built, the Hilo Hala offered a mint aroma. The sip was filled with pineapple flavors and other more vague fruity notes perhaps from the St. Germain, falernum, and lemon peels. And this was followed by funky rum, clove, almond, and floral notes on the swallow.

No comments: