Friday, October 16, 2015

little montana

1 oz London Dry Gin (Tanqueray)
1 oz Pacharán (Axta Patxaran)
1 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
2 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

After the Luau Scorpion, I was in the mood for a nightcap so I turned to Food & Wine: Cocktails 2015. From my flagged list of drinks, I decided upon the Little Montana from Nick Detrich of Cane and Table in New Orleans. Perhaps this drink was influenced by the mid-19th century Montana with Cognac and port being substituted for gin and Patxaran. Patxaran is a spirit that I was first introduced to by Avery Glasser years ago in a cocktail that I recreated by his specs. And Avery was first introduced to this spirit back when he was living in Spain in 2007; the liqueur is the Basque region's sloe gin -- well, minus the gin part but including coffee, cinnamon, and anise in the mix.
The Little Montana gave forth a lemon oil aroma that brightened darker fruit notes. For taste, a caramel and berry sip led into juniper, raisin, coffee, anise, and orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: