Thursday, February 25, 2016

shipwreck daiquiri

1 1/2 oz Aged Rum (1 3/4 oz Plantation Special Dark)
3/4 oz Apricot Brandy (1/2 oz Rothman & Winter)
1 tsp Banana Liqueur (1/4 oz Giffard Banane du Bresil)
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a coupe, and garnish with a flamed orange twist.

After the Tulip, I decided to leave my apricot liqueur out and move on to the Shipwreck Daiquiri that I had spotted in Tiki Drinks: Tropical Cocktails for the Modern Bar. Overall, the recipe reminded me of a Periodista with banana instead of orange liqueur. Since the banana element was so light relative to the apricot that the balance reminded me of a Maharaja's Revenge, I decided to adjust the proportions a bit here.
The Shipwreck Daiquiri's orange twist dominated the aroma, and as it dissipated, dark rum, apricot, and a hint of banana began to creep into the nose. On the palate, caramel and lime in the sip transitioned into rum and apricot on the swallow with a banana finish.

No comments: