Tuesday, March 8, 2016

jerusalem's between the sheets

Equal parts:
Cognac (3/4 oz Camus VS)
Cointreau (3/4 oz)
Dry Gin (3/4 oz Barr Hill)
Lemon Juice (3/4 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a lemon twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I decided to make a recipe that I had spotted in my cover-to-cover reading of The Gentleman's Companion called the Jerusalem's Between the Sheets. Charles H. Baker, Jr. cites the source as "from [the] bar book of Weber at the King David" sometime during Prohibition and compared it to the "American Side Car." Instead of the rum in the classic Between the Sheets, this variation substitutes gin. The combination of the two with lemon and a sweetener reminded me of a French 75 I once made for a guest when he could not figure out whether he wanted the brandy or the gin version, so I we decided to split the difference.
The Jerusalem's Between the Sheets began with a rather orange nose accented by lemon oil and hints of juniper. The sip was a combination of orange and lemon reminiscent of the "American Side Car," and the swallow shared Cognac, orange peel, and pine flavors.

No comments: