Thursday, March 30, 2017

treasurer

2/3 Brandy (1 1/2 oz Cooper & Kings American Brandy)
2 dash Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz La Quintinye)
2 dash Madeira (1/2 oz Blandy's 5 Year Verdelho)
1 dash Picon or Boker's Bitters (1/4 oz Amer Picon)
(1/4 oz Simple Syrup)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
After my work shift two Thursdays ago, I sought a nightcap and my desires led me to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933. There, I honed in on the Treasurer in the brandy section, for a straight spirits drink seemed to be just what I was needing. Since both the vermouth and my choice of Madeira were dry, I supplemented a dash of sugar syrup to get the balance to where I wanted it. Once spot on in that regard, my nose was filled with grape aromas probably most from the Madeira. Next, the grape continued on into the sip where it mingled with the Picon's caramel, and the swallow shared brandy, smoky, chocolate, and dark orange flavors. Indeed, the Verdelho's candied citrus notes worked rather well here with the Amer Picon's orange ones.

No comments: