Sunday, October 22, 2017

disco nap

1 1/2 oz Sombra Mezcal
3/4 oz Cucumber Syrup (1:1)
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.

Two Sundays ago, I met up with Doug from the Ohio-based Pegu Blog to give him another glimpse into the Boston bar scene. For a first stop, we convened at Brick & Mortar. From their disco-themed menu, I went with the Disco Nap for the combination of Chartreuse and cucumber reminded me of the Irma La Douce. The more I thought about it, the Irma was a Green Chartreuse cocktail and the closer concept was the Going Back to Mezcali that paired Yellow Chartreuse with cucumber.
The Disco Nap proffered a soothing cucumber nose with a hint of smoke. Next, lime, honey, and green vegetal notes on the sip were followed by smoky agave and cucumber flavors on the swallow. Overall, the drink teetered on a bit too sweet for my palate and perhaps knocking the cucumber syrup down a quarter ounce or the lime juice up a quarter ounce would help bring this drink into alignment for me.

No comments: