Thursday, January 11, 2018

barry's corner

1 oz Beefeater Gin
1 oz Punt e Mes
3/4 oz Campari
1/4 oz Mathilde Peche
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass with a large format ice cube, and garnish with a Buddha's Hand finger (or an orange twist).
Two Thursdays ago at work, one of my guests requested something that I had been working on recently that was on the bitter side of things. I decided to go with an idea that I had been mentally toying around with after spotting recipes that paired peach and Campari with great success such as the Campeche and the Movin' to the Country. Here, I went with my trick of splitting the Campari in a Negroni or Boulevardier with a fruit liqueur or syrup like in the Tarzan Boy and Intercept, respectively, and I made this drink with equal parts Campari and Mathilde's Peche. Since Mathilde's product is a lot more flavorful than the crème de peche de Vigne that I am used to at home, I had to remake this concept with the 3:1 blend listed in the recipe above. To round out the bitter-sweet profile, I opted for Punt e Mes as well as the Peychaud's Bitters that worked well in the Campeche. For a name, I dubbed this one the Barry's Corner after the neighborhood that Our Fathers Restaurant is located in Allston as well as a nod to the Italian neighborhood that existed there for decades before various urban renewal programs began to take over.

No comments: