Tuesday, April 17, 2018

casualty

1 1/2 oz Famous Grouse Blended Scotch
3/4 oz Amaro Montenegro
3/4 oz Byrrh Grand Quinquina
2 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Tuesdays ago, I finally bought a bottle of Byrrh Quinquina for the home bar, for I had stored up enough recipes to make the purchase feel worth while. To kick off the bottle, I selected a recipe from Manhattan's Amor y Amargo that was published in a Punch Drinks article in 2017. I was able to sleuth out that the recipe was crafted there by Chris Elford circa 2012, and I when I tagged Chris on my Instagram post, he replied, "The Casualty Cocktail was the start to my love affair with Scotch + Monty + chocolate. Still a flavor combo I crave."
Once prepared, the Casualty gave forth a bright orange oil aroma that countered the peat smoke and hints of grape and other fruit on the nose. Next, grape and malt mingled on the sip, and the swallow was a delightful Scotch, dark berry, and tangerine combination that ended with chocolate and woody bitterness on the finish.

No comments: