Friday, April 20, 2018

fishhook daiquiri

1 1/2 oz Plantation Dark Rum
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1/4 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

The Gonzalez Cocktail a few nights before reminded me of the great combination of Maraschino-Punt e Mes that occurs in the Red Hook, and my mind drifted into thinking about a Daiquiri utilizing these two ingredients. The Daiquiri idea popped into my head since I have had ones that call for either of these two ingredients but not both. In terms of the Maraschino, the Trader Vic's Daiquiri from his 1946 book consists of Puerto Rican rum, Maraschino, sugar, and lime juice, and this reappeared in 1972 as the Kona Gold with Demerara rum and a touch of Herbsaint; the idea also can be found in the Hemingway and Rum Club Daiquiris. And with the Punt e Mes, I had success with it in a rhum agricole Daiquiri variation that I dubbed the Dakkar Grotto. So why not give the two of them a whirl in a single drink?
For a name, I made a nautical riff on the Redhook and named this one the Fishhook Daiquiri. For a rum, I considered both a funky Jamaican like Smith & Cross and a rhum agricole, but I ended up keeping it simple with Plantation Dark. In the glass, the dark rum greeted the nose along with lime and nutty cherry aromas. Next, crisp lime danced with darker notes from the grape and rum's caramel on the sip, and the swallow offered the elegant effect of dark rum being modulated by bitter-nutty flavors.

No comments: