Wednesday, April 18, 2018

golden delicious

2 oz Apple Brandy (Boulard VSOP Calvados)
3/4 oz Honey Syrup
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass with ice.
Two Wednesdays ago, I turned to A Spot at the Bar for my evening's refreshment. There, I was lured in by the Golden Delicious that was attributed to NYC bartender Jim Kearns as an apple-for-whiskey Gold Rush variation. As I later sleuthed the web, I learned that Jim had created this recipe at the Pegu Club in Fall 2006 using Laird's 7 1/2 Year Apple Brandy. Since apples and honey are a natural pairing, I decided to give this one a whirl. The apple from the Calvados rang out rather strongly in the nose along with floral notes from the honey. Next, the honey continued on into the sip where it was balanced by crisp lemon notes, and the swallow offered apple finishing tart from the lemon.

No comments: